A viable option for some midlifers and beyond is starting a web-based business. But if you have always worked for some one else you have to change your thinking. If you want to work for yourself you have to shift to an entrepreneurial mindset. Paul and Sarah Edwards, authors of Finding Your Perfect Work: The New Career Guide to Making a Living, Creating a Life, suggest some new ways of thinking. You need to shift from:
- Dreaming to acting; you are only limited by your own time, energy, creativity and willingness.
- Being secure to being adventurous; move to the possibility of creating your own future.
- Being a spectator to being a player; you have to learn to count on yourself to succeed.
- Playing other people’s rules to playing your own; learn to experiment and find out what works and what doesn’t.
- Tooting someone else’s horn to tooting your own; become a student of marketing.